SeaJUG Clojure talk: Adding Units/Day column to meter readings

Here is a summary of my clojure talk at SeaJUG on April 19th.

The demo was to add a units-per-day field to a list of utility meter readings. A reading is a clojure hashmap that looks like this:

{:idreadings 893,
  :rtype "gas",
  :rdttm #inst "2011-01-26T19:45:00.000000000-00:00",
  :rvalue 1095,
  :rcomment ""}

I am showing the model namespace which loads some functions from an external date/time library and my database functions.

(ns com.standyck.meetrz.model
  (:require [com.standyck.meetrz.model.db :as db]
            [clj-time.core :as dt]
            [clj-time.coerce :as coerce]))

The get-all-readings function returns a sequence of these reading hashmaps for a given rtype value of "gas", "electric" or "water".

(defn get-all-readings [rtype]
  (db/select-readings-of-type (name rtype)))

I next create a hashmap that maps a field from a reading to a function that takes a pair of values and calculates the difference between them. I only care about the :rvalue and :rdttm fields. The :rvalue field calculates a simple arithmetic difference. The :dttm field requires using the date/time library (Joda underneath a clojure coating).

(def diff-fn
  {:rvalue (fn [pair] (apply - pair))
   :rdttm (fn [pair] (dt/in-minutes (apply dt/interval
                                          (map #(coerce/to-date-time %)
                                               (reverse pair))))) })

The sequence-of-deltas function takes a reading and a field and returns a sequence of differences between each reading value or date/time and it’s prior reading field value. The partition function does the heavy lifting here. It takes a sequence and returns a sequence of value pairs with an offset of 1. So for example:

user> (partition 2 1 [0 1 2 3 4 5])
((0 1) (1 2) (2 3) (3 4) (4 5))
(defn sequence-of-deltas [reading field]
  (map (field diff-fn)
       (partition 2 1 (map field reading))))

After creating a sequence of such pairs, I map the parameterized difference function for the input field over each pair to produce a sequence of deltas.

The units-per-day-sequence function takes a sequence of readings and calculates the delta value/delta time in units/day. Here we take advantage of the fact that map takes multiple sequences. Like this:

user> (map + [1 2 3] [10 20 30])
(11 22 33)

The function in the map divides the value by the number of minutes and converts it from minutes to days rounding to two decimal places.

(defn units-per-day-sequence [readings]
  (map (fn [value minutes]
         (Float/parseFloat (format "%.2f" (* 60.0 24 (/ value minutes)))))
       (sequence-of-deltas readings :rvalue)
       (sequence-of-deltas readings :rdttm)))

Finally, the introduce-units-per-day function takes a sequence of readings and returns a sequence of readings with a :units-per-day field added to it.

(defn introduce-units-per-day [readings]
  (map
   (fn [reading units-per-day]
     (assoc reading :units-per-day units-per-day))
   readings
   (units-per-day-sequence readings)))

Again, we map across two sequences. The first are the readings and the second is the sequence of units/day returned by the units-per-day function. We use the assoc function to add the :units-per-day field and value to the reading. After calling this function with a sequence of readings a typical returned reading will look like this:

{:idreadings 893,
  :rtype "gas",
  :rdttm #inst "2011-01-26T19:45:00.000000000-00:00",
  :rvalue 1095,
  :rcomment ""
  :units-per-day 2.06}

Note the new field in the final pair.

If you have any questions, please leave a reply below.