Next Book: The Queue by Basma Abdel Aziz

The Next Book is: The Queue
The Author is: Basma Abdel Aziz
Here is a link to a review/synopsis
The meeting date/time will be: August 6, 2016, 6:00 PM
The meeting location will be: Carol’s

From the Amazon Review

In a surreal, but familiar, vision of modern day Egypt, a centralized authority known as ‘the Gate’ has risen to power in the aftermath of the ‘Disgraceful Events,’ a failed popular uprising. Citizens are required to obtain permission from the Gate in order to take care of even the most basic of their daily affairs, yet the Gate never opens, and the queue in front of it grows longer.

Citizens from all walks of life mix and wait in the sun: a revolutionary journalist, a sheikh, a poor woman concerned for her daughter’s health, and even the brother of a security officer killed in clashes with protestors. Among them is Yehia, a man who was shot during the Events and is waiting for permission from the Gate to remove a bullet that remains lodged in his pelvis. Yehia’s health steadily declines, yet at every turn, officials refuse to assist him, actively denying the very existence of the bullet.

Ultimately it is Tarek, the principled doctor tending to Yehia’s case, who must decide whether to follow protocol as he has always done, or to disobey the law and risk his career to operate on Yehia and save his life.

Written with dark, subtle humor, The Queue describes the sinister nature of authoritarianism, and illuminates the way that absolute authority manipulates information, mobilizes others in service to it, and fails to uphold the rights of even those faithful to it.

I don’t know if everyone is on Discourse yet so I’ll also send to the yahoo group email.
I don’t know if I can make this meeting but I want to make sure Melissa gets the address and info about how/where to meet at Carol’s place. I recall last time we met in her yard in back.

Thanks for welcoming her!
Jeanette

@cgoldma, can you post your address information here? Thanks!

@bookclub First reminder for book club next Saturday.

@bookclub

We are meeting tonight in Carol’s back yard. Address below. I don’t think we ever established a time though.

I’m bringing cookies.

Hanging out