New Book: Dune by Frank Herbert

Dune by [Herbert, Frank]

The Next Book is: Dune (aka, the best book ever written)
The Author is: Frank Herbert
Here is a link to a review/synopsis
The meeting date/time will be: March 18, 2018
The meeting location will be: Stan & Laura’s

This Hugo and Nebula Award winner tells the sweeping tale of a desert planet called Arrakis, the focus of an intricate power struggle in a byzantine interstellar empire. Arrakis is the sole source of Melange, the “spice of spices.” Melange is necessary for interstellar travel and grants psychic powers and longevity, so whoever controls it wields great influence.

The troubles begin when stewardship of Arrakis is transferred by the Emperor from the Harkonnen Noble House to House Atreides. The Harkonnens don’t want to give up their privilege, though, and through sabotage and treachery they cast young Duke Paul Atreides out into the planet’s harsh environment to die. There he falls in with the Fremen, a tribe of desert dwellers who become the basis of the army with which he will reclaim what’s rightfully his. Paul Atreides, though, is far more than just a usurped duke. He might be the end product of a very long-term genetic experiment designed to breed a super human; he might be a messiah. His struggle is at the center of a nexus of powerful people and events, and the repercussions will be felt throughout the Imperium.

Relevant to this topic

https://theplaylist.net/denis-villeneuve-two-dune-films-20180309/

Though I think people usually miss why this book has proven so difficult to adapt for the screen. The problem is that it is written in the 3rd person omniscient. The narration constantly shifts between dialog and the internal thoughts of the various characters.

David Lynch tried to work around this by having voice overs but that usually looks dumb on screen and is easy to overuse.

I like Denis Villeneuve but I think he has his hands full.

@bookclub

This is a reminder that book club is this Sunday the 18th at 6. We are meeting at Stan and Laura’s house in Greenwood. The address is

8801 6th Av NW

I have a feeling the discussion will be lively this time around so may the Maker protect you if you have to miss it.

I also have a Dune-themed dish that will be attempting to prepare. If I can pull it off it will be epic.

I had bookmarked a recipe for Spice stuffed sandworm bread for a long time waiting for the excuse to do it. This book club meeting seemed about the best opportunity I’d ever get.

Here are some photos

Pre-oven. Tin foil keeps her mouth agape

I wanted her to be in an action pose so I put her on a small glass container.

Pre-spice mass?

Out of the oven and englazed. Shai Hulud!

I put a few almond Femen on her back. Off to kill Harkonnens!