A word or two about our Website host

I should say a bit about the PSEC site web host. There are two parties that we pay to host the site. One is for hosting, The people who provide the server space and maintain some software for us to host files. The other is for the domain registration. The people that hold our registration to the pseconline.org domain.

For web hosting we use an outfit called LunarPages. I haven’t really had much to complain about them. We pay about $60 a year. We’re currently in the last year of a three year hosting arrangement which expires in October of this year. A pretty price for what we get. They have a matrix of their plans. We have the “Basic Hosting” plan in the second column here

(not included there is that they also host our mail list)

The only thing I have to complain about is that I don’t have “Shell Access” which means I cannot log into the server with a command line console. Having this access would make it easier to manipulate files on the server. Adding shell access to our account would add an extra $2/month. If you have any questions about the items on that list let me know with the reply button.

Also, if you think you might know someone that has vastly better service offerings, please let us know. I should say though that the lunarpages support has been quite good. I’ve had very few problems over the years with them. When I have had problems, they have always responded very quickly and fixed my problems, even going the extra mile for me on occasion. They do good work.

Domain Registration

The domain is hosted by DirectNIC. It costs us about $20 a year. There isn’t much more to say about it. We might be able to find something cheaper but probably not enough to make it worth the effort.